MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE CONTENT OF THE RETREATS
Grief following bereavement can feel overwhelming, particularly if we have lost a partner or child, or if our loved one’s passing was sudden or traumatic, or if we have suffered multiple losses. The aim of this supported retreat is to better equip us to deal with our life-changing loss. We will face up to some of the spiritual, emotional and practical challenges of our grief, and then look at practical and creative ways to cope with our life as it is now, as well as the courage that our faith can give us as we go forward in our lives.
The focus of our retreats is on making the best of our life in the present. We have one or two led sessions every day. These include explanations, reflection prompts, creative activities, discussions, times of reflection and prayer, and listening to music or inspirational readings.
Besides the led sessions, there is time for personal reflection, handouts to work on individually, as well as the opportunity for participants to have individual prayer with retreat leaders if you wish. A selection of relevant books are made available to read during the retreat.
The topics we will cover (depending on the duration of the retreat and the needs of the participants) include:
- Understanding grief, the physical, practical and emotional impact of loss, and a Christian perspective on grief.
- Living with loss, models of recovery, complicated grief, crises of faith, dealing with our emotions.
- Honouring the memories of our loved ones, reflective activities, digital legacy.
- Survival strategies for our life today, being kind to ourselves, getting through difficult times.
These are the different retreats listed on the events page:
(1) Living with Loss
(2) Living with Loss Part 2, only open to those who have already attended a Living with Loss retreat.
(3) Living with Loss “Tea Room Gathering” – a more relaxed retreat for those who have already attending at least one Living with Loss retreat.
(4) A special retreat for Christians bereaved by suicide.
If you are unsure whether a retreat like this is for you, then I invite you to contact me and/or keep reading this site, as well as follow the links, to find out more details. If you do get in touch, I’ll be happy to call you back and tell you more about it and answer any specific questions you might have.
Have a look at the slideshow for a few glimpses of our retreats